The parameterize option, is found by right-clicking a Control Flow task or a connection manager, allows you to create a parameter associated with a property. For example, you can tie a connectionString property to a parameter. When an object has a property that has been parameterized it announces it with a “fx” icon either in it or nearby it.
To parameterize an object simply right-click it, and select Paramaterize. The Parameterize window opens and you will have the following options:
- Property: The property you want to associate with the parameter.
- Do not use parameter: Removes the reference to a parameter. The paramater is not deleted.
- Use existing parameter: Associates the property with an existing parameter.
- Create new parameter: Creates a new parameter.
- Scope: A package or project.
- Sensitive: Sensitive parameters are encrypted in the catalog and appear as a NULL value in SSMS or T-SQL.
- Required: Specifies that the parameter must have a value.
Here are some parameterized properties for a connection manager set at the project level.